Navigation Menu



Club History

The Inverness Bowling Club was formed by 11 businessmen in July 1874 with members limited to 30 in number. The Original Green was at Bellfield Park, moved to the Crown area a few years later and then purchased land at Bishops Road and opened the present green there in 1882. In 1892 the Club accepted and invitation to join the newly formed Scottish Bowling Association.

Members of the Club were actively involved in the formation of the Inverness and Northern Counties Bowling Association in 1925. The Club also participated in the evolvement of the Northern Counties Bowling Association from the earlier body in 1984 and has competed since then in their Championships with a fair amount of success.

Over the years the Clubhouse has been improved and the premises now comprises a Lounge, Bar, Function Hall, Catering Facilities and revamped Changing Rooms capable of hosting open Competitions and Hamilton Trophy matches. Ladies were admitted into the Associate Membership in 1967 and were accepted to full membership in 1994. Throughout its long history members of the Club have been prominent bowlers in the North of Scotland and have achieved many successes in Local, County and National competitions. Of these successes Mark Davidson along with his wife Elaine winning the National Mixed Pairs is the most notable.

The Club is particularly proud of its many members who have played at County level and of John McBean (1963/64), Sandy MacKintosh (1978, 80, 81,82,83,86)and Ian Penwright (1985,86) who have played at National level. Sandy was also a Commonwealth Games Representative in 1982 and has won gold and silver medals in the Visually Impaired National competitions. A number of male members play for the Northern Counties Hamilton Trophy Team and a number of our lady members play for the Northern Counties Ladies Team.